Monday, May 3, 2010

To Tea Party-ers and Christians: An appeal, not a rant...

I am addressing this open letter to all Tea Party-ers, and even to those people who identify themselves as Christians, Republicans, conservatives and the religious right - but more specifically Evangelical Christians.

I will start off by saying that, yes, I am an Agnostic, and could be viewed, quite possibly, as an Atheist in some of your minds. I used to be one of you, and no I do not mean the casual person who identifies themselves as 'Christian' because everyone else around them is. No, I lived and breathed the dogma and theocracy of the Bible. I believed 'once saved always saved.' I believed that the Blood of Jesus Christ was shed in atonement for the sins of all men. I believed that Jesus Himself was the Way, the Truth and the Life and that no man, no matter how great, could get to God without going thru Jesus. I believed once just as you believe now.

So, in doing so, please explain this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13TQow6zJsQ
then, explain this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvnNzgQy7Q&feature=related

Jesus Christ was a figure of great importance to me, and still is in many ways. My belief in His words helped me get thru some tough times throughout my life. I was scorned, vilified and literally spat on as a teenager. I had rocks thrown at me, took spitballs in the eye, a punch in the chest, a shove into the muddy ditch and a 'loogie' to the face, etc - all because I wasn't deemed what the majority saw as 'normal.' It was only thru His words and compassion that I was able to endure that, and even come to any point of forgiveness. I read and reread about this man who was so much more than a man, who was 100% man and 100% God, who wept and hurt and got angry at social injustice - who openly HATED the free market (Mark 11:15–19, 11:27–33, Matthew 21:12–17, 21:23–27 and Luke 19:45–48, 20:1–8), who gave a handout equally to all without condemning (Matthew 14:13–21, Mark 6:31-44, Luke 9:10-17 and John 6:5-15) and who healed and asked others to heal in his name without ever asking a dime (Matt 21:14, Luke 13:10-17, Mark 7:31-37, Mark 5:24-34, Acts 3:6).

The man in the video reminds me very much of the lame man that appears in Acts 3:6 or even more similarly the man in John 5. Jesus showed compassion and mercy. The crowd, alternately, also shown in the above video, hurled insults and spewed hatred. I can't imagine Jesus leaning down and saying, "We only help those that help themselves - that work for their help!" If He did, then I want nothing more to do with this figure of Christ! Fortunately I know better, as this is seen so clearly evident by his rebuttal of the crowd which surrounded the adulterous woman in John 8.

The Jesus that I've read about believed in the equality of all men and women, regardless of creed, sexual orientation, social status or reputation (Matthew 9:9-13). So why do we, as Americans, disparage a human's right to have basic health care? There is that old adage: If you don't have your health, you don't have anything! So, why so vitriolic a stance against the compassion and concern for your fellow man? Do we not have a responsibility to our brethren ? Or are we all to be Cains and shout, "Am I my brother's keeper?" in anger and disgust at the Lord? Can we, as a people, not follow the simple logic, that if a person is made whole and healthy, that they will then be able to work? Instead of spitting and shouting, "Work for a living, THEN be healed!"

I invite debate and discussion, always. I seek answers to questions that plague me day in and day out. I wish to know, to really know, your motivation in your beliefs. I don't condemn, nor do I seek a weakness in your argument in order to condemn - I only wish to understand as Nicodemus did (John 3:1-21). Help me to see from your point of view, so that I no longer see people clothed in hate and anger when I see you picketing on the street corners.

If you've read this, accept my thanks and gratitude for your time. Thank You.

No comments: